Fundamentals of Career Exploration
By and large, postdocs want to become faculty members at academic institutions conducting primarily research. However, some don't, and some change their minds. As such, the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs offers every summer a short training in the fundamentals of career exploration. Based on expert knowledge from one of the founders of myIDP, this training uses self-assessment, reading about careers, informational interviews, and goal setting to explore careers, identify a professional objective, and create a plan to transition to a successful career.
2022 Fundamentals of Career exploration
The 2022 iteration of Fundamentals of Career Exploration is over. Check back in Summer 2023 for the next iteration.
The program relies heavily on an active and engaged group learning community. As such, participants are expected to prepare, attend, and actively engage during sessions. Activities will range from self-reflection, reading, informational interviews, and goal setting to build critical career exploration skills as well as plan your transition to a successful career.
- 6 sessions
- Each session is 60 minutes
- All sessions will meet online via Zoom
- Starts July 13, 2022
- Wednesdays at 4:00 PM
- Every week (with a break 3 week break for informational interviews)
- Ends August 31, 2022
- 07/13/2022 | 4:00-5:00 PM | Introduction to Career Exploration
- 07/20/2022 | 4:00-5:00 PM | Self-assessment Discussion
- 07/27/2022 | 4:00-5:00 PM | Reading about careers
- 08/03/2022 | No meeting
- 08/10/2022 | No meeting
- 08/17/2022 | 4:00-5:00 PM | Informational Interviews Discussion
- 08/24/2022 | 4:00-5:00 PM | Choosing plans A & A*
- 08/31/2022 | 4:00-5:00 PM | Setting Transition Goals
Eligibility & Application
All University of Kentucky postdoctoral scholars and fellows are eligible to participate.
To apply fill out the form linked below. The program can accommodate 20 participants and seats will be given on a first-come-first-served basis. The application will close on Friday July 8, 2022 at 5:00 PM EST.
Application is closed.